It Takes Diversity of Thought, Culture, Background, and Perspective to Create a Truly Equitable and Inclusive Museum.
The Newport Art Museum’s mission is to share a diversity of art and experiences that spark reflection, inspiration, discovery, and connections within our Newport community and beyond. We are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion because the collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work ensures the Museum is a welcoming place for everyone. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that new employees can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
The Newport Art Museum seeks Gallery Security Guards for its summer exhibition in the Cushing Building, which will be on view from July 17 through October 31, 2021. This is a part-time, independent contractor position payable at an hourly rate of $17.00. The Museum is open to the public Tuesday through Saturday, 10am – 5pm and Sunday, noon – 5pm. Additionally, there is a private VIP opening reception on Friday, July 16 from 6pm – 9pm, as well as some additional special events and Thursday evenings. Ideally, the typical 41 weekly hours will be split between two individuals.
The primary duties of this position are outlined below:
• Maintain a safe and secure environment by patrolling and monitoring designated Museum galleries to ensure visitors do endanger any artwork
• Assists with the evacuation of visitors and staff in the case of an emergency
• Completes an Incident Report noting any damage to exhibits, unusual visitor behavior, minor accidents, and other cases requiring additional help or authority
• Actively supports an environment of safety, security, and calm within the Galleries and Gallery building
• Other safety and security-related responsibilities as assigned
• Promptness and reliability are required
• Cell phone use not permitted during working hours unless there is a personal emergency
• All qualified candidates must provide proof of valid work authorization and acceptable reference and background checks
At the Newport Art Museum we welcome the unique contributions that new employees can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Please note that the Newport Art Museum is an “At Will” employer meaning that either you or the Newport Art Museum can sever the relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, work experience, and two references, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the security personnel positions are filled. The Newport Art Museum is located at 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840 / www.newportartmuseum.org.
Would you like to be a Museum Volunteer? Occasionally we need help with assisting guests at special events, distributing Museum newsletters, or help with specific administrative projects. Learn about opportunities as they are posted by signing up for our Volunteer Email Blast.