Museum staff have assembled a list of resources to expand our understanding of the personal, political, and cultural importance and implications of the exhibition’s content. Although this is not an exhaustive list, we hope these resources are informative, illuminating, and inspire conversation with others.
O’Keeffe, Gender, and Feminism
- “Georgia O’Keeffe: Artists’ Views,” published on Tate, Etc, June 2019.
- Crisell, Hattie. The New York Times Style Magazine, July 2016. A Collaboration Between Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz, Captured Over 20 Years
- Grasso, Linda. CUNY Graduate Center Faculty News, August 2018. GEORGIA O’KEEFFE’S TANGLED FEMINIST ROOTS | CUNY Graduate Center
- Mitchell, Marilyn Hall. Signs, vol. 3, no. 3, 1978, pp. 681–87. JSTOR, Sexist Art Criticism: Georgia O’Keeffe: A Case Study
- Mittman, Asa Simon. Smarthistory, June 2021. Copying as innovation and resistance.
- Pak, Eudie. Biography.com, February 2020. Georgia O’Keeffe and 5 Female Visual Artists Who Were Pioneers Through Their Work
- Poling-Kempes, Lesley. University of Arizona Press, September 2015. Ladies of the Canyons: A League of Extraordinary Women and Their Adventures in the American Southwest by Lesley Poling-Kempes | Goodreads
- Wong, Zara. Vogue Australia, November 2015. Why Georgia O’Keeffe has remained a feminist icon (and, that it wasn’t always about the flowers)
O’Keeffe, the Stieglitz Circle and American Modernism
- Egan, Sharon. “’Yet in a Primitive Condition’: Edward S. Curtis’s The North American Indian,” American Art 20, no 3 (Fall 2006)
- Frascina, Frances. (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999). The Great American Thing: Modern Art and National Identity, 1915-1935. Wanda M. Corn | Archives of American Art Journal: Vol 39, No 3/4
- Folland, Thomas. Smarthistory, March 2022, Modern Art, Colonialism, Primitivism, and Indigenism: 1830–1950
- Voorhies, James. Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History (New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000–) Alfred Stieglitz (1864–1946) and His Circle
O’Keeffe in New Mexico
- 1988 La Cronica de Nuevo Mexico
- Guzmán, Alicia Inez. Virtual panel discussion, The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, September 2020. This is Not O’Keeffe Country
- Horton, Jessica and Patricia Norby. “Lunder Institute Talks: Reframing Modern Art of the American Southwest,” recorded virtual talk, Colby College Museum of Art, April 2021.
- Knapp, Rachel. “O’Keeffe Museum, Pueblo-Indigenous groups oppose NM Tourism Dept. video,” KRQE News, April 2021. O’Keeffe Museum, Pueblo-Indigenous groups oppose NM Tourism Dept. video
- Montgomery, Katrina. Phoenix New Times. Georgia O’Keeffe Exhibition Fails to Connect with Native American Culture at Phoenix’s Heard Museum | Jackalope Ranch
- Rodakiewicz, Henwar. Land of Enchantment: Southwest U.S.A., distributed by United States Information Service, 1948.
- Siebering, Dorothy. “Horizons of Pioneer,” photographed by John Loengard in Life Magazine (March, 1968): 30-52.
- Trust for Public Land, “In New Mexico, mapping Georgia O’Keeffe’s legacy on the land,” July 2019.
O’Keeffe, Colonialism, & Connection to the Land
- Guzmán, Alicia Inez. “Placing O’Keeffe,” in Joanna L. Groarke and Theresa Papanikolas, Reflections on Georgia O’Keeffe: Visions of Hawai’i (New York: New York Botanical Garden, 2018), the Clover and the Fern.
- Scott, Sascha. “Georgia O’Keeffe’s Hawai’i: Decolonizing the History of American Modernism,” American Art 34, no. 2 (Summer 2020): 27 – 53.
- Parazzoli, Grace. May 2018, Paintings that bear fruit: Georgia O’Keeffe’s “Visions of Hawai’i” | Art | Santa Fe New Mexican.
Further Reading & Resources
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, January/April 2021. 360 Journey Inside the World of Georgia O’Keefe
- Library of Congress, Georgia O’Keeffe: The Making of the Artist, 1887-1950, and After
- Art in Context, March 2022. Modern Art – An Exploration of the 20th-Century Modernist Movement
- TED Ed, feat. Iseult Gillespie, June 2020. How to see more and care less: The art of Georgia O’Keeffe
- Sotheby’s, feat. Cherry Jones, November 2018. Channeling Georgia: In Her Own Words
- Greenough, Sarah (ed.) My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933. Yale University Press, 2011.
- Haskell, Barbara (ed.) Georgia O’Keeffe: Abstraction. Yale University Press, 2009.
- Lisle, Laurie. Portrait of an Artist: A Biography of Georgia O’Keeffe. Washington Square Press, 1997.
- Pollitzer, Anita. A Woman on Paper: Georgia O’Keeffe . Simon & Schuster Books, 1988.
- Varon, Malcolm. Georgia O’Keeffe: A Life Well Lived . University of New Mexico Press, 2020.