Expressions in Watercolor (Register by May 12)
June 3, 2019 - June 5, 2019
Mon, Tues, Wed 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
In this watercolor class students can freely experiment with the medium and their brushwork to be more expressive with color, texture and mood, discovering watercolor’s capabilities to make concepts, experiences and feelings tangible with a meaningful presence. Such ideas can be made visible by adding drawings, strong imagery, shapes, or collage, with washes, glazes and bleeding colors, while employing resist methods, other techniques or even other media.
Some brushes so students can test them.
Some extra paints
Supplies to bring
*shop online at Utrecht or Dick Blick or locally at Michael’s
It is not necessary to get the very best supplies for beginning classes but you also don’t want the bottom of the line. Do not buy paint, paper or brushes at Job Lot or any lowest level store brands for your supplies.
– Mixed Media Pad (labeled as such). Any size larger than 9×12 Strathmore brand or other good artist company.
– A board or some sheets of cardboard (corrugated works) a little larger to tape your paper to. *Jeannine will bring some cardboard.
Water color brushes (NOT bristle or the cheapest ones):
– Rounds # 1 or less, #4, #8, with nice chisel points (and a #12 (optional), plus a 3/4 or 1 inch flat. Note: brushes should be soft and the hairs intact. *Jeannine will also bring some brushes to loan out during each class to help students discover which ones work best and could be purchased in the future. Students unsure about them can even hold off buying them to see and try Jeannine’s first.
Tube watercolors: individual or a watercolor set
– Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Light, Cad Yellow Medium or light, Lemon yellow optional, Raw Sienna or Yellow ochre, Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt blue and Cerulean blue. Paynes gray or indigo.
– Our greens can be made from mixing our blues and yellows and we’ll make other colors and our own blacks and grays with different mixtures. Students can acquire other colors are they progress in their practice. Also bring colors you already have.
– drawing pencil with an H label, an eraser, 1⁄2 maskng tape. Bring other drawing supplies if you have
them to add extra kicks to your work.
– a closeable paint palette. Michaels does not always have a full selection in stock.
– soft rags, kleenex tissue, spray bottle if you have one. *Jeannine will bring 1 or 2
– Your phone or tablet
– For extra effects we may need glue, rubber cement, saran wrap, cheese cloth, etc or other things but TBD later.
Location and Parking
Newport Art Museum School classes are held in the Coleman Center, located at 26 Liberty Street. Please park in our museum parking lots.
Education and Policies
Please review our policies and procedures here before the start of class.
To receive a discounted price, you have three options:
If you're not a member:
Purchase a membership along with a class or event registration, and the discount will be applied in your cart.
If you are a member, and you purchased your membership on this website:
log into your account and the discount will be applied in your cart. You can log in before your purchase, or during the checkout process.
If you are a member, and you did not purchase your membership on this website:
Log in with the email address we have on file for you. If you haven't logged into this website before, you'll need to reset your password first.
If you are a member, and you're having an issue logging in:
Purchase a registration for a class or event, and then call or email the museum, and we will be happy to apply the discount to your purchase.