Pastels: Capturing the Effects of Light (Register by September 22)
October 2, 2019 - October 30, 2019
Wednesday 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Capturing the effects of light in your pastel painting will give your work a sense of mood and atmosphere. You will see a dramatic improvement in your paintings as you explore all aspects of light, including hue, value and intensity and temperature. Underpainting techniques, layering and mark-making will also be explored. Various fun exercises will be included in order to more fully understand ways to interpret your photo references. Classes will include demonstration of methods, materials, and techniques, as well as plenty of individual attention. This class is appropriate for all levels.
– Soft pastels. There are endless options! This chart provides a great general description, but email me if you would like recommendations based on your intention and budget: here
– Hard pastels (ex. NuPastel)
– Vine charcoal (optional)
– Pastel Paper – UART 400 – the 9” x 12” size is fine, or buy larger sheets and cut them to your favorite size. This paper is available from various online sources – here are two links: here here
– Backing board for paper
– Tape or clips for attaching paper to board
– Isopropyl rubbing alcohol for underpainting
– Small container with lid
– Inexpensive paint brush (1/2” to 1”). I use a flat 1” watercolor brush.
– Sketchbook and drawing tools (pen/pencil/marker/etc.)
– Viewfinder (optional)
– Color Wheel (optional)
– Please bring a variety of reference photographs (landscape, still life, portrait, etc.), preferably those you have taken yourself, printed or on iPad-type device.
Location and Parking
Our School is located at 26 Liberty Street. Museum School students and visitors may park in the museum lots in front and back of Griswold house, or on Liberty Street. Cars parked in the other lots risk being ticketed.
Education and Policies
Please review our policies and procedures here before the start of class.
To receive a discounted price, you have three options:
If you're not a member:
Purchase a membership along with a class or event registration, and the discount will be applied in your cart.
If you are a member, and you purchased your membership on this website:
log into your account and the discount will be applied in your cart. You can log in before your purchase, or during the checkout process.
If you are a member, and you did not purchase your membership on this website:
Log in with the email address we have on file for you. If you haven't logged into this website before, you'll need to reset your password first.
If you are a member, and you're having an issue logging in:
Purchase a registration for a class or event, and then call or email the museum, and we will be happy to apply the discount to your purchase.