Encaustic Intensive (Register by September 22)
October 1, 2019 - October 3, 2019
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Encaustic Painting, an ancient technique that uses molten beeswax, oil paint and resin to create versatile and luminous surfaces, can offer you the opportunity to expand your repertoire of mark making. This course is designed to:
Day 1: Teach you the fundamental skills and techniques of painting with hot
Day 2 + 3: Expand on your skills to develop your own visual language with encaustic with time and space to work more deeply into your paintings. We’ll visit The Museum’s exhibitions/collections for drawing and photography exercises that will serve as sources of inspiration for paintings. Experimentation will be encouraged to help you discover the many possibilities of this versatile medium.
Beeswax, resin, heating tools (flat irons, heat guns, griddles)
Supplies to bring
• 3 – 5 hard panels approximately 10″ x 10″ x 1″ or deeper (MDF board, birch, plywood or hard board)
• 4-6 tubes of oil paint (various colors)
• 2″ natural bristle brushes (at least 4) – cheap painting brushes from Home Depot are fine as long as they are natural bristle
• 1/4″ natural bristle brush
• Various scraping tools (awl, large sewing needle, wood – carving tools)
• Palette knife
• 6 cup muffin pan
• Collage materials to incorporate with encaustic (string, small beads, found images from newspapers and magazines etc.). Visual sources of inspiration (objects from home or nature for still-life paintings, books
Location and Parking
Our School is located at 26 Liberty Street. Museum School students and visitors may park in the museum lots in front and back of Griswold house, or on Liberty Street. Cars parked in the other lots risk being ticketed.
Education and Policies
Please review our policies and procedures here before the start of class.
To receive a discounted price, you have three options:
If you're not a member:
Purchase a membership along with a class or event registration, and the discount will be applied in your cart.
If you are a member, and you purchased your membership on this website:
log into your account and the discount will be applied in your cart. You can log in before your purchase, or during the checkout process.
If you are a member, and you did not purchase your membership on this website:
Log in with the email address we have on file for you. If you haven't logged into this website before, you'll need to reset your password first.
If you are a member, and you're having an issue logging in:
Purchase a registration for a class or event, and then call or email the museum, and we will be happy to apply the discount to your purchase.