Confident Color in Pastel (Register by March 31)
April 10, 2019 - May 8, 2019
Wednesday 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Confidence in color selection can increase the visual impact of your painting! In this class, we will thoroughly explore all aspects of color including hue, value, intensity and temperature. We will then plan our palette by selecting from a variety of color schemes, including complementary, analogous – and a few in between! We will also explore underpainting techniques, layering, and mark-making. This class will include various fun exercises in order to more fully understand ways to interpret your photo references. Classes will include demonstration of methods, materials, and techniques, as well as plenty of individual attention. This class is appropriate for all levels.
Supplies to bring
– Soft pastels
– Hard pastels (ex. NuPastel)
– Vine charcoal (optional)
– Pastel Paper – UART 400 – the 9” x 12” size is fine, or buy larger sheets and cut them to your favorite size. This paper is available from various online sources – here are two links: Blick, or Jerry’s.
– Backing board for paper
– Tape or clips for attaching paper to board
– Isopropyl rubbing alcohol for underpainting
– Small container with lid
– Inexpensive paint brush (1/2” to 1”). I use a flat 1” watercolor brush.
– Sketchbook and drawing tools (pen/pencil/marker/etc.)
– Viewfinder (optional)
– Color Wheel (optional)
– Please bring a variety of reference photographs (landscape, still life, portrait, etc.), preferably those you have taken yourself, printed or on iPad-type device.
Location and Parking
Newport Art Museum School classes are held in the Coleman Center, located at 26 Liberty Street. Please park in our museum parking lots.
Education and Policies
Please review our policies and procedures here before the start of class.
To receive a discounted price, you have three options:
If you're not a member:
Purchase a membership along with a class or event registration, and the discount will be applied in your cart.
If you are a member, and you purchased your membership on this website:
log into your account and the discount will be applied in your cart. You can log in before your purchase, or during the checkout process.
If you are a member, and you did not purchase your membership on this website:
Log in with the email address we have on file for you. If you haven't logged into this website before, you'll need to reset your password first.
If you are a member, and you're having an issue logging in:
Purchase a registration for a class or event, and then call or email the museum, and we will be happy to apply the discount to your purchase.